The Highly Intuitive ChildAug 01, 2018 04:40AM ● By Victoria Shaw
Some children are more naturally intuitive than others. Some highly intuitive children’s gifts can border on psychic abilities; they can be very confusing if the child does not have a healthy frame of reference for understanding and interpreting them. These children may need extra support in staying connected with and managing their intuitive gifts.
Common characteristic of highly intuitive children:
• Highly sensitive
• Quirky, marches to the beat of their own drum
• Wise beyond their years
• Feel “different”
• Highly creative
• Active inner life
• Extremely empathic, may feel other people’s feelings as if they were their own
• Make profound and unexpected connections between diverse ideas
• May have or have had an imaginary friend
• May show some clear psychic abilities (e.g., precognition, telepathy, seeing auras or ghosts)
Highly intuitive children come with many gifts, but raising them can also bring challenges. These children often march to the beat of their own drum. They may need extra love and support to know that they are perfect just as they are, and that they do not need to try to fit in and be like anyone else. Highly intuitive children may also be more susceptible to depression and anxiety. They may benefit from professional support to help them learn to work with and manage their unique gifts.
Victoria Shaw, PhD, LPC is a licensed professional counselor who combines her training in psychology and counseling with her intuitive gifts. Connect at 203-254-3403, [email protected] or VictoriaShawPsychotherapy.com. See ad, page 33.